Sunday, January 29, 2012

Mama Leaver Part 2

After laying him on my chest I remember just being so amazed. They then took him to weigh and check him out. I don't remember a lot after that, just watching Dan take pictures of him and then talking to the doctor who was stitching me up-LOL. He weighed in at 8lbs 1 oz, was 21.5 in long, and had a head of 14.5 in diameter. After hearing that my mom said to me "you go girl!" :) I had a big head but his was bigger...although she delivered me without any meds! It seemed like they were over in the baby nook for a long time but Dan brought him over to me just a few minutes later. I just remember staring at him and being amazed that he was here, I had delivered him, AND he was a BOY. We had talked about three different names but never really decided on a boy name (probably because we were convinced he was a girl)...the three possible names were Carter Daniel, Noah Daniel, and Nathaniel James. The two front runners were Carter and Noah. I've always loved Noah but Carter had really grown on us. When we looked at him he just didn't look like a Noah-so finally after about 30 minutes, he was named Carter Daniel!

Time passed and eventually there was just me, Dan, and Carter. The nurse came in to help me start breastfeeding. Carter was a pro-after about 5 minutes and a little help from the nurse, he started eating away (and hasn't stopped since). I was starving so I ordered food from the hospital and my mom went out to Dunkin for her and Dan. At some point I realized I had to pee-big time! They were concerned about me getting up already because of the epidural but my legs were fine and I HAD to go! Plus, I wanted to get up so I could be moved up to the regular room. We finally were told we could move up to the room and the nurse came in with the biggest wheelchair I have ever seen in my life-it was almost as big as a loveseat. LOL. We all made our way up to the room and got set up. The adrenaline started to wear off and soon we were all asleep. My aunt Karen stopped by after her work shift, my mom and Chuck came back, and then our friends Jay, Jeannie, Todd, and Karen came by-bringing gifts of Diet Cherry Limeades from Sonic! :) (and note that Karen was still pregnant at this time...about a week late at this point...poor girl!) We finally got to bed and had a pretty good first night. Carter was in the room with us and I think they woke us up about 5 times during the night for various things-to check me, to check him, to make sure he ate, etc. I did have to set my alarm clock to make sure that I fed him because he wouldn't wake up and cry for food. He has been a great sleeper since the beginning!

The next day was Sunday and it was a great day overall. I felt like a new woman with some sleep and then a glorious shower! My mom and Chuck came with donuts from Dunkin, Rebecca came to visit to meet Carter, Connie and Randy visited as well, and we watched the Bills game on the computer (they lost, what a surprise). Carter had his circumcision at 1:00 that day (poor baby) but did well. Around 6:00 my Dad, Carolyn, and Dan's parents made it from NY. They visited for a few hours before heading back to our house for the night. Carter ended up having a rough night-we think just from being in pain from the circumcision. I know they took him to the nursery at one point and we got about an hours sleep-which helped big time. The next morning we prepared to go home and were released around 11:00 am. My Dad and Carolyn came to the hospital to help get all of our "stuff" home-we don't travel light and had received many gifts.

It was almost surreal leaving the hospital-they really were allowing us to take him home with us?? Crazy! We drove VERY SLOWLY home but made it there safe and sound! Rebecca surprised us with some cute decorations outside the house and inside on the fireplace (so sweet)! We also had flowers and some other gifts waiting for us (we are soooo blessed)! It was so nice to be home-although I do have to admit that I enjoyed being in the hospital-order whatever food I wanted, lay around in a bed that moves up and down, have the nurses take care of you, and feel "protected" by being in the hospital-knowing that the nurses would be there if something went wrong or if I had a question/concern. But, we made it through and had four extra set of hands for a week! I don't think Carter laid down to sleep except at night! He was held ALL DAY by one of the grandparents or us! :) It was really nice having them there for us during that time.

Carter went to his first doctors appointment on the Tuesday after he was born (day 4)...we loved Dr. Samarel and he gave Carter a great report. We ran a few errands (although we didn't take Carter into any stores, one of us stayed in the car with him) and it was just nice to be out in the "real world" again. Over the next two and a half weeks we went out with him multiple times. Dan and I joked that we were an old retired couple with a newborn. We went out walking because we had beautiful weather, we visited people, we went to the mall (on a Thursday during the day to avoid major crowds), and when he was two weeks old we went to church for the first time. He slept through the entire service! Even during the music! :) Everyone commented on how cute he was-which of course we already knew! ;)

He grew so much so quickly and we saw changes in him each and every day. There is not a day that goes by that Dan and I don't thank God for Carter. He is such a blessing to us and we are utterly and hopelessly in love with him. I can honestly say that I love where he is at right now-so many parents can't wait for their kids to get to "this stage" or "that stage" but I don't want him to grow up. I know that he has been an "easy" baby overall-he really is a chill child but I have enjoyed these past 11 weeks so much. I know that he has to grow up and I look forward to when he will smile all the time, talk, walk, etc. but I don't want to wish away any stage-good or bad. Every day is precious and I want to savor every moment.

Our life is so different now but at the same time it's like he has been a part of our life forever. We talk about random things "BC-before Carter" and "AC-after Carter"-LOL. I love him so much and love being a mom more than I could have ever imagined!

1 comment:

Briana McCall said...

For some reason I had never gone on here and read your birth story. Thank you for sharing! I can't believe he is about to be ONE!! And we must have the same taste in names because I love the name Carter and Alex and I decided on Nathan if we ever had a boy. You should get back to blogging!!! :) :)